Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Heather's life aboard the ship

Hello all~

Just wanted to share a few thoughts as we wander across the South Atlantic. We will be arriving in Walvis Bay, Namibia in just under 48 hours. Tonight we will have a Cultural Pre-port Meeting for the entire ship - this is a time dedicated to learning about various cultural aspects of the country we are about to visit. We also have a Logistical Pre-port Meeting. The former generally means some information about the local language(s), food, architecture, customs, etc. The latter is more about safety, transportation, etc.
Before arriving in Brasil, we were treated to a personal account of life in Salvador by our Interport student who was from Salvador. Unfortunately, we do not have anyone on the ship from Namibia. It is the first time that SAS is stopping in the country.

We have had an Interport Lecturer from Cape Town with us since leaving Brasil, Mohammed Adhikari - he's been giving guest lectures in classes and I'm hopeful Mohammed will talk in our Pre-port Meetings prior to arriving in Cape Town.
We also have had a post-doctoral scientist, Shane Elipot, with us since Brasil. He works for NOAA and calls Miami home, though he's originally from France. Shane's been dropping research beacons off the back of the ship about every 12 hours - they will monitor and record information such as ocean currents, temperature, etc. Bill was able to attend his lecture explaining the whole process - perhaps he will have a chance to elaborate on the project. Yesterday, a number of students wrote letters to King Neptune on the outside of the box that contains the beacon (all the materials are biodegradable) - it was very cute.

I've been enjoying a great number of lectures and discussions. Just last night Bill and I attended a book talk - the Academic Dean arranged for a series of books for the entire shipboard community to read if they choose to/have the time. We read "Disgrace" by J.M. Coetzee. It was very good and very disturbing - the story of a middle-aged, male Afrikaner set in post-Apartheid South Africa. The author actually won the Nobel Prize for "Waiting for the Barbarians" - his work paints a very painful metaphor for the racial tension and struggle for power in the country. The subsequent discussion was very stimulating - I'm not sure I've ever been in a book club with so many professors! Alas, I miss my Santa Cruz Bookslugs...I hope you are enjoying "Snow" - I haven't found a copy to read but am still looking.

I also just finished "To My Children's Children" by Sindwe Magona. That is the next book we'll discuss on the ship, post our stop in Cape Town. It's an autobiography of a young Xhosa woman growing up in the 1950-60s outside of Cape Town. Very moving. On of our Africanist professor's is leading that discussion. And, finally, I'm reading "Cry the Beloved Country" for the first time.

As you might gather, I am priviledged with a great deal of free time when on the ship. It's a blessing and a curse, I must say. I'm finding life on the ship a bit more difficult than I anticipated in terms of connecting myself to the community. I feel very welcomed and have made some great friends. What I struggle with is my role, particularly with the students. I've been attending some classes and getting to know students through this venue.

I've also "adopted" three girls as part of the Extended Family Program. I'm having dinner with them tonight - I've only met one so far so I'm very excited to get to know them. Victoria is originally from Spain and goes to UVa. Janelle and Lauryn I'm not sure yet.

Also, I've gotten involved with the GLBT Queering Alliance - this is for any participant who identifies as gay, lesbian, bisexual or transgendered and anyone who considers themselves an ally. I'm working right now with 3 students to identify areas, neighborhoods, clubs/bars, beaches, demonstrations, community organizations, etc in Cape Town that are gay friendly - we'll be presenting it to our GLBT group and hopefully to the entire shipboard community before arriving in South Africa.

Lastly, the lovely ladies in the Field Program Office (in-country programs) have adopted me - I'm hoping to start volunteering in their office soon.

My friend, Barbara Sobey, has started an informal walking group in the afternoons - we tromp around the ship for 30 minutes, wandering around all the nooks and crannies and up and down stairwells. Unfortunately there is no deck that you can do laps on - they all have some obstruction or other. But we're having fun. It's been about 4-5 faculty, staff and me. Barbara's husband, Ed, teaches Oceanography on the ship. They are from Redmond, WA and one of our favorite couples.

So much more I can write...but I'll sign off for now.
Much love,
heather ;)

No comments: